Home :: About Blackwood RFC Wednesday 30th of July 2014


Blackwood Rugby Football Club 2011-2012


Affiliated to the:
Welsh Rugby Union
Monmouthshire County R.F.C.
Monmouthshire County F.U.

Address:
Telephone:
Fax:
e-mail:
website:

Glan-yr-Afon Park, Hall Street, Blackwood, Gwent. NP12 1NY
01495 223206
01495 225646
info@blackwoodrfc.com
www.blackwoodrfc.com

Life Members:

Clive Williams, Owen Parfitt, David Williams

Chairman:
Vice Chairman:
Secretary:

Roger Moore.
Gareth Gwilt.
Bruce Penfold. 4 Skenfrith Close, Grove Park, Blackwood. NP12 1GD.
Tel: 01495 221784

Assistant Secretary:
Finance Secretary:
Membership Secretary:

Wayne Hughes.

Bryan Wilkins.

Committee:
Jason Burton, Cris Davies, Bob Davies, Kieran Davies, Ceri Evans, Tony Evans, Wayne Hopkins, Stuart Hopkins, Bob Lloyd, Rob Moss, Kath Naylor, Andrew Perry, Jeff Smith.

Sponsorship Committee:
Kath Naylor, Lyn Hall, Chris Fisher, Wayne Hopkins.

President:
Vice Presidents:

Owen Parfitt.
M. Morris, D. Wassell, Dr A. Williams, J. Brown, R. Osbourne, M. Spiller, E. Thompson, M. Evans, W. Hughes, S. Campbell, D. Lewis, C. Lloyd, L. Jones, J. Davies, C. Howell, A. Griffiths, J. Purnell, D. Poole, M. Chambers.

Director of Rugby:
Coaches:
Player Liaison:
Team Managers:
Club Captain:
Vice Captain:

Club Doctor:
Club Physiotherapist:

Roger Moore
Jeremy Lloyd, Jason Rogers
Alex Borghese
Wayne Hopkins, Craig Clements
Stuart Vokes
Kristan Perry

John Wisbey
Malcom Lewis

Club Solicitors:
Club Trustees:

Mark Davies, John Erasmus.
O. Parfitt, A. Lewis, I. Evans.

Brief History of the Club


Blackwood RFC was founded in 1889 and has been a member of the Welsh rugby Union since 1918. The Club has steadily improved its status over the years and the First XV currently play in the First Division of the Welsh National League being one of the top 24 clubs in Wales.

The Club also runs two youth teams together with a flourishing mini and junior section providing coaching and playing facilities for 180 players at all age group levels.

In the 1960's the Club purchased an old police station and converted it for use as a clubhouse. It is situated in the middle of a residential area, not an ideal situation for either party. The Club also own their playing field at Glan- Yr-Afon with changing rooms on the ground.

In 1997 a new 800-seater stand was constructed with the capital coming from a very successful centenary year, match sponsorship and donations paying for the work which was carried out.

Blackwood was now one of only a few clubs in the Union who owned both they're playing field and clubhouse on a freehold basis.

It was in 1998 that the seed was sown for the future development of Blackwood RFC with the purchasing of approximately 1.5 acres of land adjacent to its playing field at Glan-Yr-Afon from British Gas. This site also included a disused gas service centre. This property was purchased with the full support of the WRU.

In 2002 the club undertook a radical renovation of the Gas Service Centre, which as stated earlier was acquired in 1998. The ClubHouse in Hall Street was closed in the May of 2003 with the focus of developing a Clubhouse for the start of the 2003 season. The New Clubhouse opened as to plan for the start of the new season in September 2003.

In the last two years further improvements and acquirements have been made to our existing facilities, these include:

  • The taking of a ninety nine-year lease on the field known as "Woodfield Side" located at the front of the rugby club. This will allow rugby to be played on a field located adjacent to the Rugby Club, to be used by the Blackwood Youth, Blackwood Stars and our Mini & Junior. We also still have the use of a third field "Libanus".


  • An extensive renovation of the existing changing rooms. Adding another storey has added a further two changing rooms taking the total to five. The two storey building now comprises of:

    • Five large changing rooms, three downstairs and two upstairs. Shower facilities on both levels, with the upstairs shower areas comprising of cubicles to allow for women's rugby.

    • A Referee's changing room on both levels, both with separate shower facilities.

    • Toilets on both levels, with downstairs accommodating facilities for the disabled and upstairs separate facilities for women.

    • A physiotherapy/first aid room on the second level.


  • The upgrading of the flood lights at Glan-yr-Afon Park. Higher wattage bulbs have been installed and improved the night lighting well above the minimum standard required.


  • The completion of an all weather training surface. This is located between the clubhouse and the changing rooms. The all weather surface (endorsed by the WRU) will be used for all our club-training needs and also let out to other sporting organisations in the area.


A message from the Club President


The request to write an introduction for the club's page on the Internet illustrates two facts. Firstly, we are now in a High-Tech global situation. Secondly, as a small valley club, we have attained heights that were only dreamed of, weren't even considered as possible aspirations.

The area prior to the development of the mining industry, can only be described as a valley community consisting only of a series of small hill farms. Coal changed all that. The town is now one of the most modern shopping centres in the area. The development of the town as an important commercial centre has paralleled the improving status of the club.

Blackwood RFC was founded in 1889. The club has gradually progressed from the Monmouth Union to being one of the top twenty four teams in Wales. The advancement of the club has been based on the clubs policy of running a youth side since 1957 and more recently, teams from under eight upwards. The promotion of local talent has been paramount in achieving our success.

There have been a number of interesting events in our history. In the 1890's a Blackwood player was unfortunate enough to break his neck when the scrum collapsed. The inquest into the poor mans death was held in our old clubhouse. In the 1935/36 season, Blackwood played a Crosskeys XV under floodlights. We believe this was the first time a game in Wales was played under electric floodlights.

Blackwood have been proud to supply players for the Welsh Youth XV and to see other players from the club achieve Full International Honours. When I captained the team in the lean sixties, the feeling that the Second World War had halted the development of the club was still prevalent. The introduction of the National League gave us the opportunity to rectify this situation.

Our plans for the future are very exciting. In many ways the club is unique in the area as we own the ground etc. A fact that imposes a financial burden on the club. Inspite of this, we have continued to fulfil our plans to upgrade the facilities. We have recently completed another stage of our ground development plans by building a new changing facility. It is our intention to upgrade the ground to its maximum potential, creating one of the best complexes in the area. Naturally the club has a Sponsorship Menu that includes Match Sponsorship, Ball Sponsorship, Display Board Sponsorship, Kit Sponsorship, Team sponsorship or International Ticket Deal Sponsorship.

Blackwood RFC have always managed to progress without fuss, consolidate and move on, while at the same time retaining our local ties and generous hospitality, having hosted clubs from all over the world. This will continue to be our aim for the future. So, if there is anyone out there interested by what they read, please contact us.

O. Parfitt
President

"Blackwood Rugby Football Club will maximise the potential of rugby within the local community by providing the facilities that will meet the demands of its supporters & players.
We can then provide quality rugby within the community, by providing the facilities that will ensure that the local community will benefit"

oOo